cutest of cute mini doll... amigurumi for the brave!

I know... I JUST found my new favorite standard/worsted weight yarn and I am already cheating... it's the story of my life. I mean... I DO have a HUGE stock of it, so it's not like I'm not going to USE it... heh...

no, I'm not getting free product or even discounts... he's just THAT fun

and... I just found THIS yarn (and while I wait for yarn from my friend Sammiej who has made me much yarn all just for ME...) I have to share it... and show it off... and love it... a lot.
in case you missed the name, or the yarn name... or the cute ass dolly... 

Camelot Dyeworks has online shops independently and on Etsy (click the name of her shop) and I found Birthday Cake... in smaller test skeins (has wool) of sock weight... yeah, I know... I had a moment of horror because I'm a chicken... and... the 3mm hook is wonderful, if I have to work in the morning with good light because 45 years old didn't sound old until I was in a dark living room surrounded by dark furniture... heh.

Cutest of Cute Mini Doll
Pink = 5mm hook worsted weight yarn, Blue/Teal = 4mm hook DK weight yarn and rainbow is 
this pattern as posted. All same row counts and same number of stitches... 

(a quick note... larger yarn and larger hook = larger doll, as always. you just need bigger eyes)

What you will need:
3mm crochet hook
sock weight yarn - (to duplicate my doll you will need a mini skein of Birthday Cake Fingering Weight from Camelot Dyeworks... just saying... LOL (I got 2 dolls from one $5 mini skein)
darning needle
scissors
2 8mm safety eyes
stitch marker or piece of contrasting yarn
polyfill doll stuffing
here is my little guy showing off how much yarn is left when he is done
Abbreviations:
m/c = magic circle
sc = single crochet
inc = increase (2 single crochet in the same space)
dec = decrease (work 2 stitches as one single crochet)
blo = back loop only (this is used to make a flat surface)
(#) = number of stitches in the round
fiddly = OMG this is so small that you have to sneak your pinkie finger into it and run around looking for pencils and chopsticks to get the stuffing down in there! (I'm kidding on this one - sort of)

this pattern is worked in rounds... the head and body are one piece and each leg and arm is one piece.

because they're so little I only stuffed the hands and feet and left the arms and legs loose and floppy

Leg (make 2)
Round 1: 6 sc in m/c - pull tight and tie off end after round 3 leave the yarn end as stuffing (6)
Round 2: inc in each around (12)
Round 3: blo sc in each stitch around (12)
Rounds 4-5: sc in each stitch around (12)
Round 6: 2 sc + dec around (9)
stuff the little foot here or in the next round or it's really fiddly later (there's that word. LOL)
Rounds 7-17: sc in each stitch around and finish off with a long tail for sewing and assembly (9)
squish leg flat and stitch through both sides to "seal" and leave tail for assembly
(if you're like me and just count as you go it's 99 stitches from the start of Round 7 to the end of 17)

Arm (make 2)
Round 1: 6 sc in m/c - pull tight and tie off end after round 2 leave the yarn end as stuffing (6)
Round 2: sc + inc around (9)
Round 3-4: sc in each around - add just the littlest bit of stuffing so that the hand has shape (9)
Round 5: sc + dec around (6)
Rounds 6-16: sc in each around and finish off with a long tail for sewing and assembly (6)
squish arm flat and stitch through both sides to "seal" and leave tail for assembly
(if you're like me and just count as you go it's 66 stitches from the start of Round 6 to the end of 16)

Head and Body
Round 1: 6 sc in m/c - pull tight and tie off end after round 2 leave the yarn end as stuffing (6)
Round 2: inc in each around (12)
Round 3: sc + inc around (18)
Round 4: 2 sc + inc around (24)
Round 5: 3 sc + inc around (30)
Round 6: 4 sc + inc around (36)
Rounds 7-11: sc in each around (36)
Round 12: 4 sc + dec around (30)
Round 13-14: sc in each around (30)
Round 15: 3 sc + dec around (24)
stuff head as well as you can here because later it will get fiddly (haha... again with that word)

you can just about count 9 stitches between his eyes in this photo.

add safety eyes (I did this between rows 10 and 11 - 9 stitches between them)
Round 16: 2 sc + dec around (18)
Round 17: sc + dec around (12)
add that little bit more stuffing that always seems to be needed - you'll need a pencil or chopstick later
Round 18: dec around (6)
Round 19: inc around (12)
Round 20: sc in each around (12)
Round 21: sc + inc around (18)
Rounds 22-23: sc in each around (18)
Round 24: 2 sc + inc around (24)
Rounds 26-27: sc in each around (24)
Round 28: 3 sc + inc around (30)
Rounds 29-33: sc in each around (30)
Round 34: 3 sc + dec around (24)
Round 35: blo sc in each around (24)
stuff a little up into neck and head area to give stability and then stuff body, kinda full... he's cute cubby
Round 36: 2 sc + dec around (18)
Round 37: sc + dec around (12)
add that last little bit of stuffing, remember you want his little bum to be more flat so he sits
Round 38: dec around f/o and leave a tail for sewing closed (6)
sew through the remaining 6 stitches and draw closed, sew in end and "hide" in body
quite literally a fuzz brained layabout... 
Assembly:
I attached the legs at the front side of the body in row 31 (on top of it, between 31 and 32) with a whip stitch and tied off and lost the end into the doll
I used a stitch marker to mark the middle stitch and left it there while
I attached the legs on either side.
(the adult humor of the stitch marker didn't occur until posting and is unintentional... 
you should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking of it! LOL)

I attached the arms on the sides (it's easy to find this if you used safety eyes) between rows 20 and 21) with a whip stitch and tied off and lost the end into the doll
I sew the arms into place with a single stitch to make sure 
they're straight before fully attaching them.

This little doll can be embellished with ears, tails, muzzles, dresses... whatever you think it needs.

I believe I will leave them all just like this... I might add hearts because I love my moppets... and I think they will always come bearing gifts in their sweet little arms. :D Maybe even be sold in the shop that way.

The creator of this awesome yarn has suggested that she might dig having just this little dude as he is hanging about on her desk and so she shall get one as a surprise with some knit stitch markers as a thank you for addicting me to birthday cake that doesn't make me fat.

I have a plan to use the Birthday Cake colorway as my own special treat when things are hard or frustrating or I just need to do something completely different. I'll burn my vanilla buttercream candle from now on while I use it and associate the joy of seeing the rainbow stitches magically sprinkle color into my project while I smell the divine scent of vanilla... mmm... LOL

if it isn't fun you shouldn't be doing it... I mean... you're working for yourself, right?

Comments