Lion Brand Color Waves Yarn Review

This is one of the prettiest and most fun yarns I've had the pleasure of working with. Sadly I wasn't paying attention and missed the wool component and so I paid for it and my poor hands peeled and were unhappy... so if you have a wool allergy like I do, 20% content is enough to make my hands itchy and complainy.

I tested color pooling this winter and found that this yarn really is fun to use for this... and also makes pretty dragonscale/crocodile stitch gloves and fluffy wonderful hats.
There aren't a lot of yarns like this on the market, not really. I love the color changes and while I had a lot of correcting to do for the color pooling, I haven't found a single machine made or hand dyed product that doesn't require that. The colors are vivid and pleasing and the Playground colorway pictured here is fun no matter how you mix it. All four colors I have used are delightful, though Playground was the only one I managed to get good pooling from. One down side... there were undyed spots (sort of like the dye drips on other yarns I have reviewed only these were lacking in color instead) in 3 of the 4 colorways I bought and in each skein of each of these colorways that I have used thus far. Not huge, and not in the same spots in each skein, so I felt like they were flaws and not planned happy accidents. While I kind of dig the more rustic appearance that this sort of accident has on my projects it still dings the yarn down half a point because for those of you who care about this sort of thing need to know that I had this irregularity consistently.

This yarn is so soft that I'm sorry I can't pet it. Lovely feel and consistent weight so that there's a lovely fabric made from it even in moss stitch. Lovely fabric wants to be warm, and for a lighter yarn it is kind of bulky so I'd even say it has good structure.

I honestly have only used this yarn for color pooling scarves, simple and more complex gloves and hats. I would think it would work well for heavier weight clothing items like poncho's and would be spectacular as a blanket, though I would recommend against baby items and stick to children's items just because the wool was enough to nab me and you wouldn't want to discover an allergy accidentally.

$6.00 for 306 yards direct from Lion Brand and $3.99-4.99 from Herrschner's (I have said that it's amazing that you pay less to the re-seller than the manufacturer sometimes. I'm always blown away.) Watch for sales. Because the skeins are smaller and this yarn really wants to become larger projects this dings the yarn down a half point because it would take time to find a deal good enough to make a large project from this yarn.

I feel like this is a fairly universal yarn. As a light weight (3) yarn it feels more substantial and was nicely made so that it is a reliable product. It does have dye lot numbers so make sure you purchase at least 1 skein more than your pattern recommends. Beginner to expert, I think this yarn would be really easy and lovely for anyone to use.

Overall I really like this yarn and will finish the skeins I have and will even consider making custom orders with it for people who want it.

Comments